Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) pose a major threat to the biodiversity of the aquatic ecosystems within Western Montana. AIS lead to a degradation of water quality and severely reduced species diversity by outcompeting native plants and decreasing desirable habitat. Missoula County currently has no
known infestations of AIS and we are working to keep it that way by engaging landowners, the business community and the outdoor recreation community to take an active role in the stewardship of our lakes and streams.
Monitoring and Inventory:
- An Online Aquatic Plant Identification Manual for Freshwater Plants
- The 100th Meridian Initiative
- Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks AIS Program
- Montana Department of Agriculture Aquatic Weeds Program
- Key to Floating and Submerged Aquatic Plants of Montana (Under Construction)