Mar 27th 2024 - May 29th 2024
Start Time: 06:00 PM
End Time: 08:00 PM
Where: GW Marks Exploration Center
1075 South Ave W Missoula
The Montana Master Gardener Program serves as an education and volunteer service organization. The program’s purpose is to provide technical assistance and unbiased, research-based information in consumer horticulture to people in all Montana communities through qualified volunteers. Through the Master Gardener program we empower individuals with sound horticultural practices that minimize negative impacts on the environment. The program is based on a philosophy of shared ownership. MSU extension agents, staff, and volunteers share vision, ideas, and responsibilities for the program.
Master Gardener is an intensive and interactive 10 week course, all attendees are accepted on three conditions:
• Willingness to volunteer +20 hours and become an active participant in the MG volunteer program.
• Commitment to the course, full participation and attendance is required.
• Desire to continue training by completing the Level 2 course and complete 30 + volunteer hours.
The Missoula County Master Gardener course will be taught by Sarah Holden, MSU Extension Horticulture Agent and other local experts! Each class will be two hours and will have a lecture component and a hands-on portion. Level 1 will be a hybrid model, offering the course online as well as in person. THIS IS FOR ONLINE ONLY!!!
Level 1 Master Gardener
The Level 1 Master Gardener course is a ten-week 16+ hour course. You will receive the Montana Master Gardener Handbook and other informative handouts pertaining to the class through the course. In the Level 1 Master Gardener course you will learn about:
• Introduction to Montana State University Extension and the Master Gardener program
• Climate resiliency / USDA zones/ growing conditions
• Soils and fertility (N-P-K-Fe)
• Plant growth and development
• Vegetable gardening
• Growing small fruit
• Growing and caring for flowers
• Landscape design
• Trees, shrubs, vines and pruning
• Lawn alternatives
• Introduction to Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
Following the completion of the Level 1 Master Gardener course, you will be required to pass an open-book exam and fulfill your volunteer commitment of a minimum of 20 hours. The cost, is $225 which includes the Master Gardener Manual and online instruction. YOU will be responsible for hands on activity supplies to do at home.
If you do not wish to volunteer then this course is not for you! Please stay tuned for future gardening and other horticulture classes dropping soon!
Cost per person: $225.00
We look forward to seeing you there!