What is the Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage Program?
The purpose of the Montana Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage (NWSFF) Program is to provide forage products, such as hay, cubes, pellets, grain concentrates, or straw that is free of noxious weed seeds.weed.free.forage

Forage products may be certified as free of Montana State Noxious Weed seeds or can be certified as free of Regional Noxious Weeds. The North American Weed Management Association (NAWMA) Noxious Weed Free Forage program involves a number of western states and one Canadian Province. This regional program provides the opportunity to transport forage products across county, state, and national boundaries where noxious weed restrictions are in effect. This program is also a preventive measure to reduce the introduction of regional "designated" noxious weeds onto private, county, state, and federal lands.

How do I become a Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage Producer in Missoula County?

  • You must be producing forage in Missoula County;
  • You need to contact the Missoula County Weed District - Weed Prevention Coordinator to schedule a field inspection within 7 days prior to harvest of the forage crop;
  • A producer may certify all or a portion of a field. The portion of a field to be certified must be clearly identified prior to the field inspection;
  • An inspection fee of $4.50 per acre or a minimum fee of $45.00, which ever is greater will be charged for each field inspection;
  • Stack yards also need to be certified;
  • All harvest and handling equipment must be free of any potential contamination prior to harvest;
  • All certified forage products must be identified by department approved tags or twine. 
  • Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Missoula County Weed District - Weed Prevention Coordinator at (406) 258-4218 for more information, to submit a request for inspection, to obtain materials or to schedule inspections.

Additional Certification Programs
To certify hay pellets, grain pellets, grain concentrates or processed grain, or if you live outside Missoula County and want to become a Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage producer, contact the Montana Department of Agriculture at (406) 444-1313.

Go to Top